4.5.19 Home modifications Request for home modifications | What WorkSafe will pay for | Review request for home modifications | Determine reasonable home modifications | Requirements if modification costs exceed $10,000 | Engage a builder | Manage the builder | Provider registration & payments

WorkSafe can pay the reasonable costs of modifications to a home in which a worker resides in Australia, where the modifications are reasonably required as a result of a work-related An injury/disease is work related if it arose out of or in the course of employment and the scope of employment. injury or illness and will impact on a worker’s access to and function within the home.

If a worker’s home cannot be reasonably modified for any reason, WorkSafe may contribute a reasonable amount to the purchase cost of a semi-detached portable unit or to the costs of relocating the worker to another home that is suitable for the worker or is capable of being reasonably modified.

A worker is also required to sign a Capital Service Agreement if the payment or contribution is more than $10,000.

See: Cost of services

Capital service agreement

A worker or their representative is required to sign a Capital Service Agreement when the costs of a building modification are greater than $10,000 in accordance. A worker must enter into an agreement with the Agent in relation to ownership and maintenance of the home modifications, subsequent modifications, changes of ownership and frequency of modifications.

It is considered reasonable that a worker stay in the modified home for at least 8 years, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

Back to top

Home modifications

Home modifications are changes to the structure, layout or fittings of a worker’s home where the injury restricts the ability to use standard fittings or facilities.

Major home modifications

Any modification/contribution made by the Agent for an amount greater than $10,000 where structural changes are necessary (eg moving internal walls or enlarging existing rooms) and/or extensive modifications in and around the house eg ramps, carports, bathroom and/or bedroom.

Minor home modifications

Any modification/contribution made by the Agent for an amount less than or equal to $10,000.

Note: This is not an exhaustive list.

Difference between home modification and renovation

Home modification is distinct from renovation – definition as follows:

  • modification - ‘to make a change, alteration or a variation’
  • renovation - ‘to make new again, repair, restore to good condition’.

The Agent is not responsible for any costs relating to the renovations of a worker’s home.

Next | Back to top