Employers must plan a worker’s return to work to the extent that it is reasonable to do so.
WorkSafe has guidance and tools to support employers to plan for a worker’s return to work. This includes:
- What to do if a worker is injured – A guide for employers
- Step by step guide to assessing suitable employment
- RTW Return to Work Information template
- Compliance Code 1 of 4: Providing employment, planning and consulting about return to work
What planning includes
Planning for return to work includes:
- obtaining information about the worker's capacity for work
- considering reasonable workplace support, aids or modifications to assist in the worker's return to work
- assessing and proposing options for suitable or pre-injury employment
- providing the worker with clear, accurate and current details of the worker's RTW arrangements
- monitoring the worker's progress.
An employer must undertake these tasks as often as necessary to enable the worker to return to work in employment consistent with the worker's capacity for work.