Claims must be classified as one of the following:
- a new injury
- a continuation of a prior injury or
- a further injury, such as recurrences and aggravations.
If the claim is a new or further injury:
- register it as another claim and create a new file
- further injury, the Agent:
- records the date of the recurrence or aggravation as the date of injury, not the original injury date and
- cross references the original claim file and the further injury claim file.
If the claim is a continuing injury:
- use the existing claim and
- closed - reopen it.
If it is determined that the claim is a continuing injury from a previous employer not managed by the Agent, the current employer’s Agent is to:
- contact the other Agent and discuss the claim including obtaining agreement with regard to the ongoing management of the claim
- copy all documentation about the continuing injury and send to Agent
- keep copies of all documents on file in case a decision is questioned.
The managing Agent of the original claim should continue to manage the claim.
Where a dispute arises as to which Agent is to manage the claim, Agents are to implement the Agent/Agent dispute process.